Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Preschool choir



Parker started preschool choir in the fall. After seeing the ''big kids'' sing on stage at VBS it has been a dream to do the same. A few weeks back Jer was out of town so instead of dropping the kids and heading cross town to visit our youth service I chose to stay and watch choir practice. It was their first time on stage practicing for the big Christmas program. OH MY! My son let me just say really gets into it. The silliness that boy has in him is just....whoa. I thought well this is the first time they have been on stage he really had a hard time paying attention but he will calm down. Last week I went to choir practice. Yes he calmed down but if singing without silliness is a developmental mile stone....we aren't there. After every song he yelled out with arms high, "JESUS!" I guess that is fine since we are at church and all but it is not at all part of the songs. During the practice I turned to my friend who was holding back her giggles and I asked, "What am I going to do with him?" She laughed but I heard another mom say under her breath, "I know what I would do." .....I keep hearing that phrase and thinking... really? I mean I want him to take choir seriously too but he is 3. His choir teachers assures me he is fine. They are friends though so I wonder. We practiced at home with him singing correctly and he can do it. Sometimes I wonder if what I think is funny 3 year old behavior others are looking at saying discipline your child. I sure hope not. Anyway, Sunday night the choir had their first performance. It was an informal missions night in the gym. They were to sing two songs. He was definitely one of the two most enthusiastic but Parker blended fine (in my opinion) with the rest of the performance. He was so proud yelling hi to me and Jer. Sunday is the performance in front of the church. All of our family is coming to watch so it should be super exciting. I guess it is one of the fine lines we walk as mommies. How do you calm a child without taking away an enthusiasm? I just am not ready to do that. Everything Parker sees is the coolest most exciting thing ever. I don't want that to change.
If open mouths determine who is singing the loudest....can you pick Parker?
(Anna Beth was stiff competition on that one : )
A pre-performance family shot.

6 comments:

Amy said...

I think some kids are just more exuberant than others... and I should know... I have one! Dale is nothing like Greg or I was growing up... quiet? Not hardly!

I'm with you: I think kids should be age appropriately allowed to show enthusiasm. I agree - it IS a fine line, but you are right: they are KIDS! We have rules like no running in the church building, speaking to (and making eye contact with) people that speak to you, and sitting quietly during services. But - wow... disciplining for just being a kid? I can't imagine!

It's always hard wondering what other people are thinking, and seeing your own family objectively.

The "W" Family said...

I think that it is precious! I'm sure God is smiling as he sings his little heart out.

A Princess, five guys - then me!! said...

I remember Bryce's preschool choir performances. He was the one up there making funny faces, changing places with people trying to be the one on the end, yelling from the stage (during performance) "hi mom and dad" - everything you can think of.

Today, though, I just watched him do his Christmas performance at school. He did not even smile - he just sang and did his movements. It is definently a maturity thing, but to be honest - I missed the way he was the last couple of years. He was always so excited and goofy and now he just seems TOO grown up.

Ignore those that have a problem with it and take it for what it is - a PRESCHOOL performance. They are acting their age and having fun. In the end, isn't them having fun and enjoying it what is important?

ENJOY IT while you can, it will go away and you will miss it when it is gone!

Unknown said...

LOL! I couldn't even stifle giggles just READING about this. I would have been out and out rolling in the floor had I been there. Don't stop Parker from being silly and enthusiastic. I think you're a great mom and you can discern the time for silliness and the time to be quiet, and you will do a wonderful job of teaching him that too. Some people have no joy in their lives and they want others to be joyless too. What kind of life is that? Our children were sent from Heaven to bring us more joy than we ever could have imagined; and what better name could Parker enthusiastically yell after each song?? I can't think of one.

Parker has the rest of his life to be serious. I think we should unabashedly and apologetically let our children be joyful and even downright silly when the time is right. People who have a problem with it can go back to their little pity houses and have their little pity parties. I agree w/the other person who said that I think Jesus was probably smiling from ear to ear every time Parker said his name, and I can't think of any better affirmation than that. :)

Unknown said...

ps...I meant UNapologetically. ;)

Adrienne said...

Happy 29th birthday on the 29th! Only time in your life you can say that! Update your blog girl! (I know I'm more guilty of that than anyone...well except for Kristen! :)) I'll call u today to hear about your birthday plans!