Saturday, January 3, 2009

Christmas rewind

Christmas was so much fun this year. We had several parties and did several activities but I want to remember Christmas day.
Jer and I set our alarm for 6:30. The plan was to do Santa at our house then go to Mamaw's and Papaw's for gifts and breakfast. At ten till 6 I was wide awake. I could tell Jer was awake too. He let out an 'I'm too excited to sleep'. So we got up and got everything ready to leave after the kids opened gifts. At 6:30 we went into Parker's room. The video is priceless and if I knew how to upload it I would. He sat straight up in bed and smiled a big smile. I told him Santa came! He hopped out of bed and the squeals and excitement were just all I hoped for. The two things my sweet little boy asked for still make me smile. He asked for a violin and a trumpet. Santa brought a workbench and two wrapped gifts. (can you believe I don't have a picture of the set up?) He loved the workbench and quickly saw Maggie's toys...a precious doll I researched for weeks before settling on and a pram to push her in. I also came upon a rocking chair just like the one I had when I was little. With a little work it looks as good as new. He was so excited for her. So typical. We all went to get Maggie knowing she is my late sleeper. She quickly came around and gave a few wows! Before we set down to open,we all went outside to place baby Jesus in the manger thanking God for what Christmas is about. When we came back in he looked at the workbench and said, " I guess Santa didn't bring a violin." I pointed out the gifts and of course his violin and trumpet were there all along. After taking our time opening gifts we loaded up to Jer's mom and dad's. I always thought my mom went above and beyond when it came to gifts but Mamaw takes it to another level. I still am not sure how I feel about it. It gives her such joy...and who doesn't like to be spoiled. We opened gifts, had a wonderful breakfast, and cleaned up the rest of the morning. Jer and Maggie took a nap while Parker and I opened all the boxes. I love putting together toys. I guess my childhood love of Legos is explained. At about 3:00 we headed to Mom's. She lives in a beautiful little condo on the lake. I mean little. My sister and her two girls and husband and then my family...we were busting at the seems. I had imagined it all a little more romantic then what transpired but it turned out okay. We made steak and hash brown casserole and lots more great food. We all actually set down to eat at the same time. A Christmas miracle! Ha! We bathed the kids and settled the older ones down with a movie in bed. Jer and I, my sister and her husband and the two little ones went to a neighboring condo for the night. I bought Jer a new game he plays with the guys from work called Settlers. It is kinda like Monopoly and Risk in one. We all played till 2:30 in the morning. The four of us used to play games all the time when we had only one child each. Things got more complicated with two more kids. We had a great time. Christmas ended and we didn't even notice. This past week I have spent taking down decorations and putting away new toys. Thankfully I had spent the fall purging the kids rooms of just about all their toys. I love Christmas and can't wait till next year but I also look forward to this new year.

3 comments:

A Princess, five guys - then me!! said...

you can upload your videos to youtube (youtube.com) and embed them in your blog. It is pretty easy. That is how I put my videos on my blog.

Jordan Malone said...

You and Jeremy make it so special for your kids. The Christmas morning ritual of putting baby Jesus in the manger is such a wonderful thing. I just might have to copy you next year if that's ok!

Polkadots & Paisleys said...

You won!