Thursday, August 28, 2008

me...sewing?

All my life I have watched my mom create some amazing things. Whether sewing are painting or just making things she always has a project. Since she moved I no longer count on her to get excited about my ideas and create them for me. This is a good thing I guess because it has caused me to teach myself to do some things. I never had time in high school to take a Home Eco. type class but always wanted to sew. I asked for a sewing machine at Christmas and opened it up this week. I am hosting bunko next month and all those projects I listed last month are in full swing. For some reason I do half a project and move on to the next. I am sure I will complete them all, I just get bored easily. Back to the sewing...one of my projects was curtains for my bedroom. My sweet husband bought me some bedding I loved when it was half of half with an additional 30% off at Dillards. I needed some curtains to match. Mom and I went to the fabric store because after I painted my living room my cornice board needed an update. Would you believe they had already reduced designer prints an additional 75% off?! I got this gorgeous fabric for $3 a yard. I bought enough for the cornice and then bought some for the curtains. Friday night I had no kids at home thanks to my mother in law so I spent until one in the morning reading the manual and making a panel. It was not perfect but really got me excited.



So then I thought about the cute A-line dresses on eBay that are seasonal with a monogram on the front. I really wanted Maggie to have one but couldn't afford them. My mother in law suggested I go buy a pattern and we could look at it together. Sunday night we cut it out at her house then I took it home and sewed. It was so fun. Here it the dress without the orange ribbon for the trim. I already made another one and have plans for Christmas pajamas. I love clothes and can't afford to shop so this is so exciting to me. I never thought I had enough patience to do it but I really enjoyed doing something besides TV in the evening when the kids are in bed.




Two other projects I listed are in the process of being completed. I painted the headboard I have been putting of for sometime now. It still needs moulding at the top but looks good for now. Also, I had inspiration from Cathrine on Parker's room art. Do you see a trend? Only half way done. : )

I promise to finish when I get another moment without kids. Parker starts preschool next week so maybe I can get a few things done with just Maggie. Overall it was a pretty productive week.

4 comments:

The "W" Family said...

I am so impressed with all your projects. your headboard is so cool. I love it. Parker's sign looks awesome! I also love your curtains- i wish i could sew. Your house is going to look great for bunko!

Mandy Kimery said...

Yah for you!! Your sewing looks great! You and Todd should spend some time together. He can't finish a project either. He usually has at least 5 going on at once, and they are EVERYWHERE!!! As you can imagine, it drives me CRAZY!!! I'm always glad when he gets them finished because he is so good at just about anything, so they always turn out great. I just wish he would complete them in a more timely manner!!

Anonymous said...

cute cute.....do i see ella a christmas dress in the future?? love.

Adrienne said...

Jer must've gotten you that bedding recently, because I didn't recognize it! It looks great! I love her little dress. Boys just aren't as easy to sew for. :( Oh well--less to feel guilty about not doing! Mom and I picked out some of our bedding material...i wish you were here to help me!!