Sunday, August 17, 2008

sick of being sick..and a soap box

Whew....It has been a long 5 days. Wednesday Parker woke with a low grade fever. Being that you have decide at dawn to take your child to the pediatrician or you can't get an appointment for that day I called and scheduled him. Sure enough a double ear infection. Fine, I thought we are not contagious and everyone is acting happy. Oh nnnnoooo. That night I get a fever too. The next day my throat is awful. My fever is up and Parker's fever is through the roof. We stay medicated and of course the next day....Maggie has a fever. I am sure it is the virus that two of our close friends have dealt with but ugh....
Sunday the kids and I stayed home from church. We didn't go to Jer's parents for dinner to spare them a virus. Parker and I remained fever free all afternoon and we both needed out of the house. Daddy suggested Cracker Barrel so I was in. Parker was so funny. The little golf tee game that is on every table has new rules. According to Parker all the tees are to be placed on the table. Then very strategically you take turns placing a tee in each hole. Daddy asked Parker, "how do you win this game?" Parker said, "I win!" Oh... so we keep putting them in till you win. Got it! It was so funny Jer kept acting as if he had a strategy. He would say things like...ohhh don't put there..awe that was where I was gonna put mine. Parker loved it. Maggie had command of the tiny creamer cups and butter cups. Until she got sick of them and threw them in the floor....along with a saucer that broke. Nice. We came home put the kids to bed and I did my weekly Sunday night grocery shopping. I love shopping alone but hate how there is never anything left.
My throat still is killing me. I would be concerned about strep if I didn't know of a few others with this virus. If it isn't better by Tuesday morning I will make an appointment. It is bad to have sick kids but it is the worse to have sick kids and be sick yourself.

A Soap Box by: Natalie
School starts tomorrow for the rest of the world. Like I said I do my shopping on Sunday nights. Would you believe that at 10:30 the night before the first day of school there are kids out at Walmart? I mean not just a couple but a bunch. If that wasn't bad enough here is an example of showing your kids how important school is. There were a few with the school supplies list! Getting their school supplies at 10:30 the night before school starts. Nothing says your ready for a new year like that! I wasn't going to mention that the mother had a 'cupids lingerie' tank top on but it did add icing to the cake. How does that kid have a chance? The sad thing is if that child has a problem at school the parents will likely be as confused as they were tonight over why there are no pencils at Walmart the night before school starts! ugh! Kristen, I almost had to say something! ha
Seriously though. It made me think. (as I judged these people...I know) I can get fired up about people not showing children being prepared for school is important. What about parents not preparing our kids to know Jesus. I strolled past with the same crippled buggy I seem to always find and thought do people get this worked up over parents not showing what a big deal God is to their children? I don't want to be a mom that has her kids out at "10:30 at night" trying to show them how powerful God is in their life. That will have no effect on their life accept to say that God is not important to me. I pray that I can show my kids that Jesus is the only way to have a joyful life. I pray that everyday we constantly talk about what God has done for us. I want them to know God is important and that it is why we go to church and read his word. Not for our glory but because God is that important. Kids will see what it important to us. It is not the stuff we say at 10:30 at night. It is the stuff we prepare for.
Note: Believe me I know school is not the most important thing in life. Our society worships school in my opinion but just for comparison sake....

2 comments:

Amy said...

Wow - Great point!! It is so important to 'plan ahead' to what we want our kids to understand at certain ages so we can be preparing them all along the way. Well said; thanks for the reminder!

I hope you guys are feeling better today. :)

The "W" Family said...

being sick stinks, no rest time for mom.

I totally agree with your point. #1 I can't stand it either when kids are out late. I was at wal-mart at 8:30 before we went on vacation and of course my kids were being awful. I apologized to the check-out lady and she said, "oh 8:30 is nothing, you should see all the kids here around midnight drinking redbull in a bottle!"

now i'm getting on a soap box, but lately at church, teacher's dont show. I want to get up and make an announcement because that wouldn't be tolerated if it was teh child's school teacher-and isn't teaching about jesus more important? I'm done :) good points.