Thursday, July 31, 2008

How do they know.


Yesterday I was cleaning up Parker's room as he lay in bed to take a nap. I was holding a little dinosaur that my father gave him the one of two times he has seen him. He looks at me and says, "Mommy, who gave me this"
Me "I don't know."
P " Yes you do."
Me "My dad"
P "Yep and he plays golf"
Me "Yes he does"
P "I wish he would come see me again"
Me "Well, he is not like your papaw. (jers dad) He doesn't come around much. My dad didn't live with me when I was a little girl."
P (sad voice ) "Oh."
The he rolled over hugging that dinosaur. I could feel myself tearing up. Does that stuff ever go away?

3 comments:

Adrienne said...

No I dont think it does ever go away. Its gotta be hard when it affects your kids and not just you anymore.

Anonymous said...

this post made me sad...i guess because i am right there with you. im glad our kiddos will never have to deal with these things with their daddys!! i dont care when the weekend is...whenever!! just need to figure out the whole nursing thing!! love.

Mandy Kimery said...

I teared up reading this post. I don't think it ever goes away. My dad has only seen Blaine once since he's been born. Now that I am a parent, it makes it even more difficult to understand how any parent could just choose not to be around their own child and especially their child's child. You hear these stories of 'that type of parent' having their eyes opened when they become grandparents, and I guess deep down I hoped that that would be the case when Blaine was born. Not so.....I just don't get it.