Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Motherhood And Other Contact Sports

Last night we went to Ashley's for some homemade pizza and a few fireworks. Parker loved them and Maggie wasn't scared a bit. It is funny how different kids are.
Parker is in love with any kind of sport that involves a ball. Last night he continued to blow me away at how much he is able to do as a young three year old. He hits the ball when it is pitched and he has form when he shoots a basketball. I don't want to be one of those parents that thinks their kids are the best but he IS really good...and he loves it. This morning was day three of having his "jobs" he made his bed with a little less help and undressed and dressed himself...with a tiny bit of support. In the middle though he hunkers down in his tighty whities with tight fists growling "I'm a football playa" over in over again. So cute. He loves so many sports he kinda mixes them up. Example
"This is my basket ball helmet"

"Touchdown!" (after hitting his baseball)

And today at the park he said,"Let's go play on the basketball field."

We rode bikes again today at the park and it went so much smoother. This morning I chose a verse to meditate on today. After reading Philipians in my quiet time I chose Philipians 4:5. Let your gentleness be known to all. In those hot frustrating moments at the park (only a couple) I chose to be gentle....not weak but gentle. I guess sometimes I confuse giving in and gentleness. I am to be gentle but firm. We have had little to know melt downs. He has pushed but I gently and firmly pushed back. When we came home he whined "I'm thirsty."
"Ask me without whining and I will get you something"

"Get me something to drink." This is where he was pushing it. He knows one of my buttons is asking nicely and not just a please at the end of a command.
I looked at him with raised I brows where normally I would have said, "excuse me?" He pouted and layed his head on the couch.

"Ask the right way and I would be happy to help you" I left it at that and went to reboot the laundry. He thought about for a few minutes and came back with a cheerful, "would you get me something to drink please?"

The stress I was feeling about his behavior looks a little better today. My attitude is a huge part of it. I know it is one day better but hopefully we are both learning.

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

How do you reboot the laundry? Am I the only one who doesn't do this? :)